In this article, we will take a gastronomic journey into the world of Instant Pot Mexican Rice.
This delectable dish combines fragrant long-grain white rice with a delightful medley of flavors, including tomato sauce, minced garlic, onion, and tomato bouillon cubes or granules.
With its effortless preparation and speedy cooking time, Instant Pot Mexican Rice is a convenient and mouthwatering addition to any meal.
Whether you are an experienced culinary maestro or an aspiring cook, this recipe is guaranteed to astound your loved ones.
So, let’s dive into the savory depths of Instant Pot Mexican Rice and savor its irresistible taste.
- The recipe calls for long-grain white rice, tomato sauce, minced garlic, onion, and tomato bouillon cubes or granules.
- The rice is sautéed until light golden in color before adding garlic, onion, tomato sauce, salt, tomato bouillon, and carrots.
- The rice is cooked on high pressure for 3-4 minutes and allowed to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and adding peas.
- Brown rice can be substituted, but cooking time and water quantity need to be adjusted. Additional water and a longer cooking time are needed to achieve a chewier and nuttier texture.
Ingredients and Preparation
To make Instant Pot Mexican Rice, you will need:
- Long-grain white rice
- Tomato sauce
- Minced garlic
- Tomato bouillon cubes or granules
The rice is first rinsed until the water runs clear and then sautéed in the Instant Pot until lightly golden.
Other ingredients such as garlic, onion, tomato sauce, salt, tomato bouillon, and carrots are added and stirred well. Water is then added to ensure the bullion cubes are dissolved.
The rice is cooked on Manual or High Pressure for 3-4 minutes, and the pressure is allowed to naturally release for 10 minutes. After removing the lid, peas can be added and the rice is gently fluffed with a fork.
The Instant Pot lid is placed over the bowl, allowing the rice to rest for a few more minutes before serving.
Sauteing the Rice
To sauté the rice for Instant Pot Mexican Rice, begin by heating the Instant Pot using the sauté function. This step is crucial as it allows the rice to develop a rich, nutty flavor through the browning process.
Follow these steps to achieve perfectly sautéed rice:
- Add the rinsed and drained rice to the heated Instant Pot.
- Stir the rice continuously using the rice sauté technique, which involves gently tossing the rice in the pot to ensure even browning.
- Keep sautéing the rice until it turns a light golden color. This process typically takes around 3-4 minutes.
- Once the rice is lightly golden, you can proceed to add the remaining ingredients and continue with the cooking instructions.
After sautéing the rice to achieve a light golden color, the cooking instructions for Instant Pot Mexican Rice are straightforward and easy to follow.
Simply add garlic, onion, tomato sauce, salt, tomato bouillon, and carrots to the sautéed rice in the Instant Pot. Stir well and add water, ensuring that the bouillon cubes are dissolved.
Cook on Manual or High Pressure for 3-4 minutes, then allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
Once the lid is removed, add peas and gently fluff the rice with a fork, taking care not to stir. Let the rice rest for a few more minutes under the Instant Pot lid before serving.
For those who prefer brown rice, simply add an additional ¼ cup of water and cook on high pressure for 22-24 minutes, depending on elevation. Again, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
|3-4 minutes on Manual or High Pressure
|Adding Vegetables and Water
|Naturally Releasing Pressure
|Adding Peas and Fluffing Rice
|A few minutes before serving
Serving Suggestions: Serve Instant Pot Mexican Rice as a delicious side dish alongside your favorite Mexican main courses such as tacos, enchiladas, or fajitas. It also pairs well with grilled chicken or beef. Enjoy the flavors of Mexico in this quick and easy rice dish!
Adding Peas and Fluffing the Rice
Once the lid is removed after allowing the pressure to naturally release, gently add peas to the cooked rice in the Instant Pot.
The addition of peas not only adds a burst of color to the dish but also provides a subtle sweetness that complements the best savory flavors of the store-bought Mexican rice.
To ensure the best results, consider the following pea options and fluffing techniques:
- Fresh peas: If available, use fresh peas for a vibrant and crisp texture. Simply shell the peas and add them directly to the rice.
- Frozen peas: Frozen peas are a convenient option that still retains their sweetness. Thaw the peas before adding them to the rice.
- Canned peas: In a pinch, canned peas can be used. Drain and rinse the peas before incorporating them into the rice.
- Fluffing techniques: To fluff the rice, use a fork and gently separate the grains without stirring vigorously. This will help to maintain the light and fluffy texture of the rice while evenly distributing the peas throughout.
Substituting Brown Rice
When substituting brown rice in the recipe for Instant Pot Mexican Rice, it is important to adjust the cooking time and water quantity. Brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice and requires more water to achieve the desired texture.
To ensure the brown rice cooks properly in the Instant Pot, add an additional ¼ cup of water compared to the recipe’s water quantity.
The cooking time for brown rice should be increased to 22-24 minutes on high pressure, depending on your elevation. This longer cooking time allows the brown rice to fully absorb the water and become tender.
The texture of brown rice will be slightly chewier and nuttier compared to white rice. The extra cooking time and water will help achieve a fluffy and well-cooked brown rice in the Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe.
Notes and Nutrition
One important aspect to consider when making Instant Pot Mexican Rice is the nutritional content and additional notes to keep in mind. Here are some important points regarding the notes and nutrition of this dish:
- Variations: Feel free to customize the recipe to suit your preferences. You can add diced bell peppers, corn kernels, or even diced jalapenos to add some extra flavor and texture to the rice.
- Health benefits: This Mexican Rice is packed with nutrients. It provides a good source of carbohydrates for energy, and the addition of vegetables like carrots and peas adds essential vitamins and minerals. The tomato sauce used in the recipe contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that may have potential health benefits.
- Tomato bouillon cubes or granules: These can be found in the Mexican food aisle of your local grocery store and add a distinct flavor to the rice. If you prefer, you can substitute chicken broth, but note that the rice color may differ.
- Stovetop instructions: If you don’t own an Instant Pot, don’t worry. You can still make this delicious Mexican Rice on the stovetop by adjusting the cooking times and following the same steps.
Stovetop Instructions (If You Don’t Own an Instant Pot)
To prepare Instant Pot Mexican Rice on the stovetop, follow these instructions.
If you don’t own an Instant Pot or prefer the stovetop cooking method, you can still enjoy this delicious dish.
Simply gather the same ingredients mentioned earlier, such as long-grain white rice, tomato sauce, minced garlic, onion, and tomato bouillon cubes or granules.
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear and drain it well.
In a large pot, sauté the rice until it becomes lightly golden.
Then, add the garlic, onion, tomato sauce, salt, tomato bouillon, and carrots.
Stir well and add water, ensuring that the bouillon cubes are dissolved.
Cook the rice over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
This stovetop cooking method is a great alternative for those who don’t own an Instant Pot or prefer using other cooking appliances.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Brown Rice Instead of White Rice in This Recipe?
Using brown rice in place of white rice for this recipe is possible. Adjust the cooking time and add an additional ¼ cup of water. For a different flavor, consider using alternatives to vegetable broth such as chicken broth or stock.
Can I Use Vegetable Broth Instead of Tomato Sauce for a Different Flavor?
Using vegetable broth as an alternative to tomato sauce in Mexican rice can provide a different flavor profile. The taste between vegetable broth and tomato sauce in Mexican rice differs, and using vegetable broth can add depth and richness to the dish.
Can I Skip the Step of Sautéing the Rice in the Instant Pot?
Skipping the step of sautéing the rice in the Instant Pot is not recommended as it adds depth and flavor to the dish. However, alternative cooking methods for Mexican rice include stovetop preparation or using a rice cooker.
How Long Does It Take for the Pressure to Naturally Release After Cooking?
The natural pressure release method in an Instant Pot allows for safe and gradual cooling of the appliance, preventing any sudden release of steam. The duration of natural pressure release varies depending on the recipe, typically ranging from 5 to 20 minutes.
Can I Add Other Vegetables Like Bell Peppers or Corn to the Mexican Rice?
Adding additional vegetables to the Mexican rice recipe, such as bell peppers or corn, can enhance the flavor and add more texture to the dish. However, it is important to note that these additions may slightly alter the traditional taste of the dish.
In conclusion, Instant Pot Mexican Rice is a versatile and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed by both experienced cooks and beginners.
With its easy preparation and quick cooking time, it is a convenient addition to any meal.
Whether you choose to make it with white or brown rice, this dish is sure to impress with its savory flavors and nutritional benefits.
So why wait? Embark on a culinary adventure and enjoy the deliciousness of Instant Pot Mexican Rice.