Despite the endless choices, vanilla is the most common flavor of ice cream in the world.
As such, it’s not surprising that vanilla ice cream is the signature flavor of every ice cream brand.
Vanilla ice cream is commonly seen as a neutral or a base flavor. Vanilla lovers will tell you that neutral vanilla is a broad misconception.
The orchid plant from which vanilla grows is extremely demanding, and it takes a lot of labor to dry and cure the beans. That could be a reason why it is the most expensive spice worldwide next to saffron.
You can always go right with vanilla ice cream, whether you dress it up with sprinkles, Oreos, fresh strawberries, or keep it plain.
- Häagen-Dazs Vanilla offers a distinctive taste with a sweet scent of exotic spice and is made with only 5 simple ingredients.
- 365 Vanilla by Whole Foods Market is a natural and organic option that is not overly sweet and has a good but not overpowering vanilla flavor.
- Tillamook Vanilla Bean provides an extra creamy texture and authentic vanilla flavor with real crushed vanilla bean seeds, and is made with high-quality ingredients.
- Talenti Gelato Madagascan Vanilla Bean is a gourmet gelato option with a unique flavor profile that includes a hint of lemon zest, and it is gluten-free and Kosher Certified.
What are The 10 Best Store-Bought Vanilla Ice Creams?
Vanilla ice cream, a favorite choice of America is the third most popular flavor of $13.1 billion domestic frozen dairy industry.
Vanilla ice cream’s sweet, creamy taste and its compatibility with any dessert could be the main reason for this ranking.
Which store-bought vanilla ice cream from the grocery store is actually good? We decided find out best vanilla ice cream that you can purchase in the supermarket.
We’ve put together a list of the best vanilla ice cream from a variety of well-known and handmade ice cream brands.
These top-rated ice cream brands offer a wide variety of best store-bought vanilla ice cream that you can buy in the grocery shops.
10. Edy’s Vanilla Bean
Edy’s ice cream is the result of a collaboration with Joseph Edy, the candy maker and Dreyer’s ice cream maker.
Edy’s and Dreyers Ice Cream are the same product, but the labels will say Edy’s if store-bought at East of the Rockies while Dreyer’s if store-bought at West of the Rockies.
This classic brand uses nine ingredients to make their ice cream, including sugar, corn syrup, vanilla beans and gums that thicken and reduce the ice crystals.
Edy’s (or Dreyer’s, depending on your location) Vanilla Bean is a creamy dairy product made with hormone-free milk and real vanilla beans. It contains no artificial flavors or colors.
- Brand: Edy’s
- Flavor: Vanilla Bean
- Size: 1.5 qt (Frozen)
- Made with real vanilla beans
- No artificial colors or flavors
- Made with milk and cream from cows not treated with rBST
- Rich and velvety taste
- Loaded with real vanilla bean specks
- Smooth and creamy texture
- Crafted with high-quality ingredients
- Suitable for any occasion
- Limited flavor options available
- May not be suitable for those with lactose intolerance or dairy allergies
9. Talenti Gelato Madagascan Vanilla Bean
Talenti, a relatively young brand, was launched in 2003 and is one of the first artisanal gelatos to be widely available in U.S. supermarkets.
Gelato, an Italian ice cream, uses less cream and more milk than other ice creams. It also uses less air during the churning.
This vanilla gelato is a nice off-white color. Even on the surface, we can see some bean specks.
The gelato is easy to scoop and has a vanilla flavor. The bean specks are visible throughout the pint.
The vanilla flavor is evident and welcome. This gelato is interesting because it does not contain eggs. However, the texture remains intact.
Talenti is committed to using high-quality, non-GMO ingredients and doesn’t include high fructose corn syrup in their products.
The gelato is also gluten-free and OU-D Kosher Certified. Packaged in clear, BPA-free jars that can be recycled and reused, Talenti Gelato Madagascan Vanilla Bean is both delicious and eco-friendly.
This is a good vanilla that will satisfy any vanilla enthusiast’s cravings.
- Flavor: Madagascan Vanilla Bean
- Size: 1 pint
- Ingredients: Cream, sugar, skim milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, lemon zest
- OU-D Kosher Certified
- Crafted with non-GMO ingredients
- Packaging made with 100% recycled plastic
- Creamy texture
- Unique flavor profile with a hint of lemon zest
- High-quality ingredients
- Gluten-free and Kosher Certified
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Some customers found the flavor to be too sweet or lacking in vanilla taste
- The consistency may be softer than expected for some individuals
8. Aldens Organic Vanilla Bean
This creamy, fresh ice cream has a rich taste that is not overpowering. The ice cream is soft and scoopable but not too airy as well.
Alden’s Organic Vanilla Bean ice cream is easy to scoop straight from the freezer but has enough firmness that it’s great for licking out of a cone.
The ice cream is pretty, slightly off-white, flecked with ground vanilla beans. The vanilla flavor is simple and clean as it is not made with eggs.
The light texture of Aldens Organic Vanilla Bean makes it a better option for those watching their waistline, although it may not be as rich as Haagen Daaz or Ben & Jerry’s.
Despite being a bit pricey for what it offers, this ice cream is rated 4 stars as a store brand. It’s creamy, delicious, and doesn’t contain natural flavors, making it a healthier option for vanilla ice cream lovers.
This delicious creamy vanilla goes well with any cone flavor or topping.
- Aldens Organic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 48 oz (Frozen)
- 95% Organic
- Ingredients sourced from domestic suppliers
- Creamy and delicious
- Made with 95% organic ingredients
- No natural flavors
- Not as rich as gourmet premium brands
7. Blue Bunny Premium Vanilla Bean
Fred H. Wells founded the Blue Bunny Company in 1913 as a dairy distribution company.
The Well family created Blue Bunny in the 1930s after holding a contest asking locals to suggest names for their newly-established ice cream business.
Blue Bunny is a brand you may have never heard of, but according to Statista, it is the 8th best-selling ice cream brand in the U.S., surpassing premium-end competitors such as Tillamook and Talenti.
Blue Bunny Vanilla ice cream is all-natural and free of artificial flavors or chemicals. This ice cream is indeed of a higher quality than many other famous brands in the market.
This store-bought vanilla ice cream is a simple mixture of vanilla bean, egg yolks, milk, and cream with vanilla extract.
Even the tiny specks that are vanilla bean paste can be seen in the ice cream pint. The texture is light and creamy without being icy.
As for the sweetness and vanilla flavors, they are quite balanced.
- Brand: Blue Bunny
- Flavor: Vanilla Bean
- Package Size: 48 fl ounces
- Smooth and creamy texture
- Rich vanilla flavor
- Specks of real vanilla beans
- Can be too sweet for some
- Difficulty finding in local grocery stores
- Price and availability issues online
6. 365 Organic Vanilla Bean
Whole Foods is a great place to buy organic food. Many people compare the 365 store-brand organic food to the name brands of the same.
This ice cream has a rich vanilla flavor and is almost too rich for us to enjoy on our own. Nevertheless, it was creamy.
The ingredients are like those of premium ice creams, except for the organic vanilla bean and vanilla extract. The vanilla bean seeds are visible in the ice cream throughout.
The 365 ice cream has more body than other ice creams, even though it is not made with eggs. It’s less fluffy and has a more stable texture.
Customers praise the limited ingredients and smooth texture of Organic Vanilla Bean, as well as its creaminess and strong vanilla flavor. It’s seen as a good alternative to other high-quality or premium organic ice creams.
- Brand: 365 by Whole Foods Market
- Flavor: Organic Vanilla Bean
- Type: Eggless vegetarian
- Texture: Thick and creamy
- Certification: Organic
- Rich and creamy flavor
- Made with premium ingredients
- Meets high quality standards
- Limited ingredients
- Smooth texture
- Strong vanilla flavor
- Slightly sweet taste
- Not a direct alternative to other eggless options
- Room for improvement in terms of sweetness level
5. Breyers Natural Vanilla
Breyers is one of the oldest brands in America. It began as a homemade ice cream that founder William Breyer sold to his Philadelphian neighbors in 1866.
Breyers has been a household brand for more than 150 years.
Breyers offers a variety of vanilla ice creams—these range from dairy-free, oat-milk vanilla to homemade vanilla and extra-creamy.
Breyer’s Natural Vanilla is, however, the original vanilla flavor. It is made with Rainforest Alliance-certified vanilla beans and locally sourced dairy.
This grocery store staple makes its ice cream with only five ingredients: milk, natural flavor, cream, sugar, and vegetable gum.
Breyers has a variety of vanilla flavors, but this one we tried was by far our favorite.
The ice cream is bright white, with some vanilla bean specks scattered throughout the pint. Breyers Vanilla Natural is also super-balanced and delicious.
The product’s simplicity is ideal, and we feel good buying it because of its responsible sourcing.
- Brand: Breyers
- Flavor: Natural Vanilla
- Size: 48 oz
- Ingredients: Fresh cream, sugar, milk, and vanilla beans
- Certification: Rainforest Alliance Certified
- Rich and creamy flavor
- Made with sustainable vanilla
- Smooth and velvety texture
- Generous portion size
- Gluten-free option
- May be considered expensive by some customers
4. Tillamook Vanilla Bean
Tillamook, named after the rural Oregon town where its dairy farmer family first began producing ice cream, has all dairy products from butter to yogurt to cheese.
The balance between sweetness, vanilla flavor, and creamy texture is perfect. It makes sense that the ingredients are limited to vanilla bean, cream, sugar, egg yolks, and skim milk.
This ice cream is of the highest quality and can be served with your pies.
Tillamook Vanilla Bean is praised by customers for its visible vanilla bean specks and creamy mouthfeel. Many reviewers prefer it over other brands, citing its premium ingredients and rich taste. However, some customers find the ice cream to be overpriced or too sweet and heavy.
Despite these criticisms, Tillamook’s commitment to quality and tradition make their Vanilla Bean ice cream a delicious creamy treat to savor.
- Tillamook Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, 48oz
- Made with real crushed vanilla bean seeds
- Creamier taste with extra cream and less air
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors added
- High-quality milk from cows not treated with artificial growth hormone rBST
- Extra creamy texture and authentic vanilla flavor
- Made with premium ingredients
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Made with milk from cows not treated with rBST
- Some customers find it overpriced or not to their liking
- Changes in the appearance and flavor of the vanilla bean specks
- Feedback on the sweetness and heaviness of the ice cream
3. 365 Vanilla by Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods has a line of products, 365, that is similar to most other large supermarket chains.
Whole Foods 365 Vanilla, their own brand, is made with all-natural ingredients and follows the company’s mission.
Whole Foods 365 Vanilla ice cream is the best vanilla ice cream choice for those who don’t like artificial flavors, ingredients, or preservatives.
This blend combines milk, skimmed milk, and cream with real cane sugar and vanilla extract, and it is a delicious treat.
This ice cream recipe is very simple and it does not have the overly strong vanilla flavor of artificial vanilla ice-creams. It’s great as a base for fresh berries too.
However, if you enjoy old-fashioned simple vanilla ice cream, Vanilla by Whole Foods Market is a satisfying treat that offers good value for the price.
- Made with high-quality natural and organic ingredients
- Not overly sweet with a good but not overpowering vanilla flavor
- Creamy texture without artificial ingredients
- Affordability compared to more expensive brands
- Satisfying treat for those who enjoy old-fashioned simple vanilla ice cream
- Good value for the price
- Not suitable for those who prefer vanilla bean or French vanilla flavors
- Some customers find the texture and taste to be just okay
2. Ben & Jerry’s Vanilla
Ben & Jerry’s, a Vermont-based creamery, opened in 1978. It is famous for its excessive and unusual ice cream flavors.
With its sky-blue packaging, this iconic brand uses eight ingredients: cream, sugar, and egg yolks. It also contains carrageenan, vanilla beans and extract, which is used to bind, thicken and stabilize the ice cream.
Ben & Jerry’s is committed to fair trade and sources their vanilla beans in Uganda from small family farms.
Ben and Jerry’s Vanilla ice cream is rich and creamy thanks to the addition of egg yolks and double vanilla extract, and bean paste.
Statista says that Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is the top-selling brand in the United States, which gave us high expectations for this store-bought vanilla ice cream.
It is certainly better than the majority of cheaper ice creams that we tried.
- Made with non-GMO ingredients and cage-free eggs
- Sourced from small-scale farmers in Uganda
- Certified Kosher
- Responsibly sourced packaging
- Rich and creamy vanilla flavor
- Ethically sourced ingredients
- Supports small-scale farmers and their communities
- Commitment to sustainability
- Some customers find the taste bland or watered down
- Mixed opinions about value for the price
1. Häagen-Dazs Vanilla
Haagen-Dazs might sound like an ice cream maker from Denmark, but the company was founded in the Bronx back in 1960.
Haagen-Dazs is a premium brand of ice cream, but it’s also easy to find. You can find it everywhere, from gas stations to food shops and grocery stores.
For more than 60 years, their store-bought vanilla flavor has been a staple. This is a 5 ingredient, simple recipe that uses Madagascar vanilla.
Haagen-Dazs’s Vanilla ice cream is made with a simple list of ingredients, which includes milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract.
It has a rich, creamy flavor with a milky taste that is not overly sweetened or watered down.
This ice cream is easy to find and made from high-quality ingredients. It also has a price comparable with other vanilla ice cream pints.
They also have new vanilla flavors like vanilla Swiss almond, and vanilla bean.
- Size: 28 oz tub
- Ingredients: Cream, skim milk, cane sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract
- No GMO ingredients
- Milk and cream from cows not treated with rBST
- Distinctive taste with a sweet scent of exotic spice
- Made with only 5 simple ingredients
- Creamy texture
- Rich vanilla flavor
- Gluten-free and no GMO ingredients
- Some customers wish it had more vanilla bean in it
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the nutritional information for the featured vanilla ice creams?
When considering the nutritional information for vanilla ice creams, it’s important to take into account flavor variations, sugar and fat content, serving size, and allergen information. These factors can vary among different brands and products.
Are there any vegan or dairy-free options available in the list of best store-bought vanilla ice creams?
Looking for vegan options or dairy-free alternatives? You’ll find taste comparisons, price comparisons, and availability in different stores. Check out the best store-bought vanilla ice creams for your preferences.
Can these vanilla ice creams be used as a base for making homemade milkshakes or sundaes?
Looking to elevate your milkshakes or sundaes? These store-bought vanilla ice creams serve as perfect bases for flavor variations. Their creamy texture enhances the final result. Despite the extra cost, they’re worth it. Plus, they have a decent shelf life in the freezer. However, if you prefer a DIY alternative, try making homemade vanilla ice cream from scratch.
Do any of the featured vanilla ice creams contain any artificial flavors or additives?
None of the featured vanilla ice creams contain artificial flavors or additives. You can enjoy their authentic vanilla flavor without any guilt.
Are there any recommendations for toppings or mix-ins that pair well with the selected vanilla ice creams?
Looking to enhance your vanilla ice cream experience? Try topping it with fresh berries for a burst of fruity flavors or mixing in some crushed cookies for a crunchy twist. The possibilities are endless!
As you reach the end of your quest for the perfect store-bought vanilla ice cream, remember that the true essence of this frozen delight lies not only in its taste, but in the memories and emotions it evokes.
Each spoonful carries within it a story, a connection to simpler times and a sweet escape from the chaos of everyday life.
So, savor every bite, for in this simple pleasure, you may find a taste of pure bliss.